- 1 Can you hunt with an AR 15 in NY?
- 2 What is a WMU in NY?
- 3 What hunting season is it in NY right now?
- 4 Can you shoot a deer from your house in NY?
- 5 Can you shoot on your property in NY?
- 6 Can you carry a pistol while bow hunting in NY?
- 7 Can you still get doe tags in NY?
- 8 Where can I go hunting in New York?
- 9 What does DMU stand for in hunting?
- 10 Can you hunt on Sunday in New York?
- 11 Do you need a hunting license to hunt on your own property in NY?
- 12 Can you hunt deer with a pistol in NY?
- 13 Can you shoot a pistol in NY without a permit?
- 14 Can I carry a gun while hiking in NY?
- 15 Can a felon hunt with a bow in NY 2020?
Can you hunt with an AR 15 in NY?
* It is illegal to hunt with: a fully automatic firearm; an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches); any firearm equipped with a silencer.
What is a WMU in NY?
Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) are the geographical units DEC uses to set hunting and trapping seasons in New York State. Wherever possible, the boundaries between units were placed on County or State Highways or large streams or rivers making them clearly identifiable on the ground.
What hunting season is it in NY right now?
2020 Deer Hunting Season Dates
|Southern Zone||Oct. 1 – Nov. 20 Dec. 14 – Dec. 22||Nov. 21 – Dec. 13|
|Westchester County (WMU 3S)||same as Regular Season||Oct. 1 – Dec. 31 (bowhunting only)|
|Suffolk County (WMU 1C)||same as Regular Season||Oct. 1, 2020 – Jan. 31, 2021 (bowhunting only)|
Can you shoot a deer from your house in NY?
You are not within 500 feet of a home or farm building, unless you have permission from the owner or lessee. While in or on a motor vehicle and operating a light and no person has a firearm or bow unless: the firearm is taken down or the bow is unstrung, or. the firearm is securely fastened in a case, or.
Can you shoot on your property in NY?
Of course you CAN. The proper question is “May you shoot” on your property in New York. Sure can. The cops will be there in a matter of seconds; and you‘d best not be still holding the gun when they get there, but you can do it.
Can you carry a pistol while bow hunting in NY?
You can carry a handgun – provided you have a NYS pistol permit – while hunting with a bow during the regular big game season. However, you may not carry a firearm while archery hunting during a special archery season.
Leftover DMPs will not be available by phone or online. The Wildlife Management Units with permits available will be announced by news release and on our website (www.dec.ny.gov). If you already applied for a Deer Management Permit during the initial application period, there is no additional application fee.
Where can I go hunting in New York?
Many of New York’s state parks allow hunting.
Another popular public option for hunters is the state’s wildlife refuges, including:
- Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge.
- Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge.
- Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge.
What does DMU stand for in hunting?
Deer Management Units (DMUs)
Can you hunt on Sunday in New York?
Sunday hunting is allowed in all areas of New York. There are some local exceptions. Check the area that you hunt carefully. For hunting on state parks, confirm regulations with the park before hunting.
Do you need a hunting license to hunt on your own property in NY?
All residents must have a valid hunting license in their possession except: Resident owners primarily engaged in farming, lessees and members of their immediate families do not need a hunting license when hunting small game on farmlands they are occupying and cultivating.
Can you hunt deer with a pistol in NY?
Big game hunters are permitted to carry:
22 caliber rim-fire handgun during regular deer season or early and regular bear seasons, if they possess a NYS pistol permit; or. 22 caliber rim-fire cannot be used as a primary or secondary weapon to take deer or bear.
Can you shoot a pistol in NY without a permit?
The use of handguns shall not be permitted unless the shooter has a valid New York State pistol permit or falls under one of the exemptions set forth in § 265.20 of the New York State Penal Law.
Can I carry a gun while hiking in NY?
No person shall carry a firearm or be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm under any circumstances when using Trails 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 and 21.
Can a felon hunt with a bow in NY 2020?
In the recent months NYS has made it illegal for all convicted felons to bear fire arms/bow and arrows. In the past convicted felons were not allowed to hunt with shot guns or rifles, BUT could hunt with muzzleloaders and bows.