- 1 Where is the best duck hunting in Louisiana?
- 2 How many ducks can you kill in Louisiana?
- 3 When should I go duck hunting?
- 4 What is needed to duck hunt in Louisiana?
- 5 Where is the best place to hunt ducks?
- 6 How long is duck season in Louisiana?
- 7 Can I carry a pistol while hunting in Louisiana?
- 8 Can you shoot pigeons in Louisiana?
- 9 Can you shoot robins in Louisiana?
- 10 Do ducks fly in heavy rain?
- 11 Does rain affect duck hunting?
- 12 Where do ducks go at night?
- 13 Do you need a hunters safety course in Louisiana?
- 14 Can you hunt black bellied whistling duck?
- 15 What time is shooting hours for ducks in Louisiana?
Where is the best duck hunting in Louisiana?
So here are five areas that deliver the goods to the birds and tend to consistently reward those hunters willing to learn the keys of each.
- Richard K.
- Atchafalaya Delta WMA — St.
- Pass a Loutre WMA — Plaquemines Parish.
- Biloxi WMA — St. Bernard Parish.
- Point-aux-Chenes WMA — Terrebonne & Lafourche parishes.
How many ducks can you kill in Louisiana?
Ducks: Daily bag limit on ducks is 6 and may include no more than 4 mallards (no more than 2 females), 3 wood ducks, 2 canvasbacks, 2 redheads, 1 mottled duck, 1 black duck and 1 pintail. Only 1 scaup may be taken for the first 15 days of the season with 2 per day allowed for the remainder.
When should I go duck hunting?
Time of Day: It is believed that the best time to hunt for waterfowl is during the first hours of the morning after dawn. However that belief has been challenged by hunters who find their most successful hunts happen in the afternoon or early evening.
What is needed to duck hunt in Louisiana?
If you’re a resident or Louisiana native, you need a Louisiana hunting license of some kind (Basic Hunting, Lifetime, Senior, or Sportsman’s Paradise License.) Basic Hunting License holders also need a Louisiana Duck License.
Where is the best place to hunt ducks?
15 Great Places to Hunt Waterfowl
- Southern Saskatchewan. By virtually any measure, Saskatchewan would rank high among North America’s best places to hunt waterfowl.
- Eastern North Dakota.
- Central Valley of California.
- South Louisiana.
- Peace River Country, Alberta.
- Texas Panhandle.
- Eastern Arkansas.
- Great Salt Lake, Utah.
How long is duck season in Louisiana?
Ducks: 6; may include no more than 4 mallards (no more than 2 of which may be female), 3 wood ducks, 2 canvasback, 2 redheads, 1 mottled duck, 1 black duck, and 1 pintail.
|Dates||Daily Bag Limit||Possession Limit|
|November 21 – February 28||10||30|
Can I carry a pistol while hunting in Louisiana?
Louisiana also issued regulations that said that muzzleloader and bow hunters can only carry. 22-caliber pistols loaded with “ratshot” for protection against poisonous snakes.
Can you shoot pigeons in Louisiana?
No person, other than the owner or his authorized representative, shall kill, wound, catch, or hold in possession, living or dead, a racing (homing, or carrier) pigeon, which has on its legs a seamless metal band bearing a name, letter, or number.
Can you shoot robins in Louisiana?
A robin is not a game bird and is a migratory bird and illegal to shoot at any time. It is a violation of federal law to shoot any non-game migratory bird. The District 6 Parish Council member could face a maximum fine of $1,000 and/or 120 days in jail, according to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
Do ducks fly in heavy rain?
Yes, ducks do fly in the rain and wind. Although it may seem strange, duck hunting in the wind, fog, and rain can be a good idea. Just for the record, in lousy conditions, ducks are likely to fly to an agreeable pond and hunker down. Invest in a well-camouflaged duck boat if you are going to hunt near the water.
Does rain affect duck hunting?
As winds intensify, ducks move to protected areas–river backwaters, lake coves, green-timber openings, the lee side of islands. Rain and/or sleet intensifies their scramble for shelter, limiting and defining the places they are likely to be. Changing winds also work in the hunter’s favor.
Where do ducks go at night?
Most of the time, geese and ducks sleep at night right on the water. Eagles and hawks aren’t a threat because they also sleep during the night, and any predator swimming after the birds would send vibrations through the water, waking them up.
Do you need a hunters safety course in Louisiana?
Every hunter is encouraged to take hunter education. However, Louisiana law requires all hunters born on or after September 1, 1969 receive Hunter Education Certification from an LDWF-approved course prior to hunting in Louisiana, unless they are under direct supervision of a qualified person.
Can you hunt black bellied whistling duck?
It’s tough hunting though, especially on the public lands Bendell frequents. And duck hunting is more popular in Florida in certain areas than most hunters know. “Head on over to the west side of Lake Okeechobee in December. All these factors lead Bendell to target black-bellies and fulvous whistling ducks.
What time is shooting hours for ducks in Louisiana?
Hours for Shooting
1. Gallinule, Rail, Snipe, Woodcock and Teal: A half an hour before sunrise until sunset. 2. Mourning Dove: A half hour before sunrise until sunset with the exception of the opening day of the first split on Wmas and LDWf leased dove fields where shooting hours are from Noon until sunset.